What's A Good Compound Bow For Beginner ???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Wolverine666, May 17, 2010.

1. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for a good compound bow for an adult beginner (without spending a fortune). I've seen some nice compound bows that seem to be geared toward novices only to realize that they are more for "youths , women or small-framed individuals". I am none of the above. I'm a 225 lb. adult male who is in desperate need of advice and opinions as to what compound bows would be best suited for me (beginner). I would prefer bow "packages" so that I'm able to shoot right out of the box. Thanks in advance for anyone and everyone's help.

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always tell beginners to take a look at the Bear Archery bows. I bought the Lights Out package for my first bow, and it worked out well (I shot a deer 3 days after I bought it). I still shoot the Lights Out, and it does just fine by me.

3. gabevtwin

gabevtwin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Diamond also has some well priced packages on bows. Most new bows tend to look a little smaller so don't be fooled by the size.

4. newguy

newguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The PSE stinger is what I shoot. Seems to work for me. I can put 3 arrows in a pie plate at 40 yards.
    I got a complete package for under 600.00. That includes Peep, sight, rest, dloop, release, 6 inch stab, wrist sling, soft case and 6 carbon arrows fletched knocked and cut. Field tips included.

Best thing to do would be to shoot as many bows as you can within your price range and see wich one YOU feel is the best for you.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  5. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the Bowtech line.

Great starter bows.

6. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes , the PSE Stinger Package ( at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops) looks great and isn't terribly pricey. Is it a solid , sturdy bow ? I'm def leaning in that direction but I am still curious about Bear , Parker , Diamond and Martin.

7. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anything that says "Bowtech" on it!

8. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Which ever make and model you buy.... buy one with a longer axle to axle. Don't get trapped into one of these "ULTRA SHORT"bows they tell you help to manuver in a stand. It's not that critical for manuvering. It is that critical for ease of shooting and accuracy. Longer axle to axle are more forgiving and will give you more confidence than some super short touchy damn stick. DO NOT over bow yourself. Buy something you can pull back easily without going through gymnastic moves. Buy something you can hold for a few seconds comfortably. Maybe buy something that's easily adjusted to raise your draw weight as you progress and develope the special muscles used in archery. Get someone, hopefully the shopper owner offers it, who will give you some lessons, basics and form lessons. Someone who will help you develope a proper anchor and release. I'd look at a cam and a half design or even a dual cam for a beginner. Those criteria reduces your shopping possiblilities a lot. Your price range will reduce it more. I've had a lot of bows. Several manufacturers. They all were great with the above criteria taken into consideration. Go to a shop with several manufacturers. Shoot them all set up at the right draw length. One will jump out as very comfortable. I've had PSE's, Darton, Bear, Bowtech and right now I love my Bowtech. Yet, the best shooter I ever had was the Darton. I changed the draw length on it, the weight and set it up for my 65 year old buddy and gave it to him so he could get into bow hunting. I gave him a few lessons. He killed 4 his first year and 8 last year. After 2 years he says he may never gun hunt again.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  9. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You cannot go wrong with PSE. For the price of some of their bows... they are great for first time archers.

10. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very Impressive David, well said! Follow Davids advise here, It's spot on If you ask me.

11. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks David (and Schultzy). I really appreciate the advice and I will certainly take it to heart. I've been looking at so many makes and models (PSE and Bear seem very appealing). But a few of you have mentioned Bowtech , which I have yet to check out , and I will be investigating the Bowtech site today.

12. Deerslayer7

Deerslayer7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you left handed..i got a bow ill sell ya cheap..martin

13. davydtune

davydtune Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    :lol::lol:

15. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a bowtech and love it. www.huntersfriend.com has packages that I bought one off them and it was great. Check them out.

16. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think more important than the kind of bow is the amount of practice. My bow is a youth bow we bought at a yard sale. It's 30 pound pull. Someone's kid had outgrown it. (There is no minimum draw weight in Michigan, luckily for me.) We shoot 6 arrows, each and every day, winter included, unless the weather is really atrocious. (Like high winds or a heavy downpour.) I've taken two deer, does, not large, but they were delicious. Between our kids, work, school, etc., we don't get much time to hunt, but we still practice so as to be ready when the opportunity arises. (Obviously with a bow like mine, we have to get very close, but my husband is very good at getting me close.) Most of our hunting actually is for rabbits and woodchucks. (Woodchucks are excellent eating.)

:sheep:
    She's a better shot than her husband

17. Ghille1cav

Ghille1cav Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife is shooting a Mission Menace and loves it.

18. WestonYates57

WestonYates57 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would recommend the Diamond By Bowtech. Here is a link for more information about this bow.

19. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm betting he has already made a decision by now........

20. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bear Archery attitude! Lots of adjustment available and bear just makes one of the best bows for the money available.