1 pin sights

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jrob140, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm am debating on switching to a one pin sight, just wanted everyone's opinion on which style they prefer. Currently I'm shooting a tru glo 5 pin sight but I feel like I could be more accurate with a 1 pin for the simple fact that I've shot firearms my entire life and am more used to a vertical sight line rather then horizontal with the multi pin. My issue shooting seems to always be horizontal weather it be shooting left or right and I thought maybe with the vertical sight It would just feel a bit more natural and to what I'm used to. Thanks!

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you can go wrong with an HHA. They are tough as nails and their customer service is great.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

3. akaTheDude

akaTheDude Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the same boat. Was considering a HHA, but havent had to courage to spend that kind of $$ on a sight yet. If you happen to get a vertical sight, please let us know if it improved your shot placement.

4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    HHA is a very good sight, however I'm selling an AXT driver single pin adjustable sight, it's very tough all metal construction. I have it listed in the archery tackle classifieds. 90$ Tyd. Check it out or PM me with offers. With that said I prefer single pins, I like the full sight of the target and simplicity of the single pin. Good luck in your decision.

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I currently have an HHA on my bow and really like it, but have owned a Black Gold Ascent single pin and it was also excellent. I like the forward wheel of the Black Gold over the rear slider on the model of HHA I have.

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I currently shoot a Black Gold Ambush Ascent and switched from a 5 pin for the same reasons. My accuracy immediately improved. Make the switch!

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot an HHA single pin. Have had it on the bow for almost 10 years. It is awesome!!

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love my HHA, never a problem set it at 25 yards and never slide it. Practice out to 45.

9. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Aiming with a pin is the same no matter how many are in the sight. It's the same whether its an expensive sight or a Walmart cheapie.

I'm saying that a dot on the target is a dot on the target. I'm not talking about build quality materials etc.

Reducing the number of pins may help with clutter in the sight picture and may reduce some distraction but when it comes time to take the actual shot, the focus should be on one single dot from the sight and one single dot on the target.

Changing the number of pins or the brand of the sight won't really do much to help with actual accuracy.

Practice and being comfortable with your choice of equipment will.

10. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's not the number of pins that I think is the problem although everything else you said I completely agree with. With a multi pin sight the dot in which is aim is sticking out to the left or right depending on if you are right or left handed. I'm a right handed shooter so all my pins stick out to the left in the sight and I have problems with my groupings always being slightly to the left of what I'm shooting. I've moved my sight to the left thinking that will help center it up and it does for a while and then I starting drifting to the left again. So my thinking behind a single pin sight is it is much like that of iron sights on a firearm which is what I'm more experienced with, this only being my second year of bowhunting. My thinking is with the vertical sight it will keep my groups from being slightly left. I could be dead wrong that's why I'm asking you guys haha. Also it isn't my grip, I shoot with my hand open and I've filmed myself shooting to make sure I'm not jerking for some reason and from what I can tell it is neither.

11. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have ever you tested multi vs single pins? Because, reading over a ton of forum posts on this issue, many people went to single pin and noticed an increase in accuracy. Then you have target shooters using one pin sights, sooo......

To the OP. I'm trying out a single pin this year. The only negative I've heard is forgetting to switch the yardage or not having time switch. Most bowhunting shots are within 20 yards and when shooting any further, people usually use a rangefinder anyway.

12. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    HHA. Hasn't ever failed me.

13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. It can't get more simple. I love my HHA.

14. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought an HHA Optimizer Lite today, $100 + free shipping on Amazon right now. I've always shot fixed pins but I'm hoping to get rid of the clutter and stretch out my range a bit. I don't ever plan on moving it from 20 except for maybe during my mule deer hunt this coming season but it'll be nice to have the option.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  15. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    HHA Kingpin. Switched this past season and love the sight.

16. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    HHA or Spot Hogg

I've always used HHA and like that their customer service is top notch. If anything breaks on it, just call them and they will take care of it for you. Their is different models for all budgets. I'm using the HHA OL-5519

17. Mathews_08

Mathews_08 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I started hunting with a single pin and got my first couple bow kills with it. For some reason I felt the need to swap to a multipin and missed 3 or 4 deer with it. Swapped back to a single pin and started killing again, I also shoot much better with a single pin. I just would get confused in the heat of the moment and use the wrong pin. I'm a big fan of HHA sights, seem pretty tough and have bright pins. what I do with my HTR is set my pin at 25 yards and can hold on the vitals from 1 to 30 yards. At 40 yards hold right on the spine and watch it fall into place. I don't see my self getting away from a single pin.

18. Mathews_08

Mathews_08 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    This is the chart that helped me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^AGREED^ HHA makes great sights!!

20. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another HHA shooter here. Won't use anything but a single pin sight. I do have a witness dot on the pin support for 50 yards when I'm out west. They are costly but will last and can be transferred from bow to bow if you upgrade allot.