What video cameras does the staff use?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by whitecotton03, Oct 23, 2015.

1. whitecotton03

whitecotton03 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering what types of video cameras the staff at BHOD use. The picture quality is always great

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know there are quite a few different cameras being used right now. I'm currently using a Canon 70D DSLR and my iPhone 6s. I forget what camera Justin, Todd and Dustin just got, but I believe they are liking it. (shoots 4K too)

I'm sure others will chime in :tu:

3. timcon

timcon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Sony NX70U for my main camera ... Also keep a Sony CX290 in my pocket

4. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I am running the Canon xa20 camera with a Tactacam. I also film with my Canon 60d and 5dmark3 dslrs. I like the xa20 for the 20 power optical zoom and the manual audio adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. calbow

calbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Canon XA20 my buddy has an XA10 and we like the 20 power zoom of the XA20. Also get a Varizoom it really helps along with a good boom mic and boom mic muff. we both have the Tactacam mounted on our stabalizer with a truglo rail mount as the secondary camera.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  6. Johnny Miller

Johnny Miller BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Sony PXW-X70. Love it, so much smaller and lighter than my Sony AX2000 that I was using before.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using a Sony FDR-AX100. It does shoot 4K and has a larger sensor than my old Canon XA20 so it's a bit better in low light and seems to have better color saturation as well. However I'm having a lot of issues with the auto focus during interviews, so I'm manually focusing them all. This is a huge pain when self filming. If I don't get it corrected before next year I'll be looking into a different camera.

I'm also using a Tactacam mounted to my bow to capture the shot as well as a GoPro up in the tree somewhere for a 2nd angle.

Todd's using a pair of XA20 cameras - one on the camera arm for his main camera, and the 2nd mounted above him with a wide angle lens to capture the 2nd angle. He also has a Tactacam on his bow to capture the shot and from time to time a GoPro somewhere else to get yet another angle.

In the event I film someone else I like to carry my Nikon D7100 with to film b-roll and 2nd angles on interviews. You simply can't beat the quality you get with a DSLR, but they're tough to self film with.

8. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using the Canon XA10, and the Tactacam also.

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Currently im using the Canon XA10, Tactacam and epic POV'S I use three cam arms on my current best stand set ups so I only need to pack up the camera and fluid head.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know how in the world Todd carries all that stuff in and out every time!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bet he has Justin haul all the gear back there for him LOL

12. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using a Sony FDR-AX100 shooting 4k. I also have a Tactacam on my bow forward facing. I will also run a gopro for the over the shoulder angle as well. and I will do some recovery footage with a canon T6I DSLR.