seeing way too often

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Skunkworkx, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hits looking far back....is this due to a rushed shot trying to get on camera ?

I commend you self filmers since I've tried it with just a bow mounted cam. It's not an easy thing to do trying to remember to turn on, get in frame, make the shot, and all while trying not to be seen

:clap:

2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Not sure about anybody else but in the 30+ years I have been bowhunting whitetails most of my hits that have been off haven't had anything to do with the camera. How about yourself?

3. Skunkworkx

Dislikes Received:
    It happens...but not very often at all. 5-7 times in 15-20 years maybe been too far back.(noting to do with camera)

4. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think more than anything they're wanting to miss the shoulder on a big Midwest whitetail. Game of percentages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Skunkworkx

Dislikes Received:
    Could be I guess while using expandable heads ?

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    After switching to the new Muzzy Trocar HB, I'm not worried too much about shoulders...
    This was at 48 yards. My initial estimate of 40 yards was off due to the size of the deer and being in fog in CRP so I didn't have anything to landmark. I was lucky he ducked into it, which also put his shoulders back so I hit them instead of just clean rib cage. He didn't make it more than 80 yards.

Entry:
    image.jpg

Exit:
    image.jpg

I had to cut a few inches up from that broken bone to get the head out of the exit; but it shattered that leg bone just below the shoulder and then retracted back into the shoulder area before the shaft broke a couple inches behind the insert. The rest of that damage was all broadhead induced.

I'm not advocating shoulder shots but I'd rather be a couple inches forward than a few inches back. With my set up I'm more confident in recovering a shoulder hit deer than a 1 lung/liver/gut shot.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  7. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Or not wanting to wreck meat.

8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    There is that, lol
    (See above)

9. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good Lord, that's a wound. i'm shooting those this year also and double lunged a doe with them and they split her open, but man!!!! That is some damage!!!!

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    To each their own, but I'm taking 1 lung/liver over a shoulder hit in almost every imaginable scenario. If you hit that shoulder blade too low there aren't many arrow setups that are going to save you. If you clip the back of the scapula or hit the flat part directly at close range you're going to punch through it enough to kill and recover the animal quickly as I've done that a few times. But you hit the ridge of the scapula itself or the shoulder joint/knuckle, it's game over, see ya next year.

Your shot, while right above the leg bone on the entry side, didn't punch through the shoulder. My guess is you missed it altogether or maybe clipped the back side of it. A direct shoulder hit that low at that distance and your arrow may as well have bounced off him - Muzzy or no Muzzy.

[​IMG]

11. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think it has to do with the cameras being there. Like others have said nobody wants to deal with the shoulder. And it also could be that the deer moved as the arrow was shot

Sent from my VS990 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

12. Skunkworkx

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I've just always hung close to the shoulder in that little dark spot/indentation.

[​IMG]

13. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Justin on this one.

14. J_Carnley

J_Carnley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's just what happens when hunters buy into advertising hype. Expandable shooters are afraid of the shoulder so they over compensate. Justin is right that there are very few setups that will save you on a shoulder hit. However as hunters I feel it is our duty to make sure we are using those very few setups in our quiver. There are actually quite a few broad heads out there that will do the job. Stick with cut on contact 2 or 4 blades and aim for the heart with confidence

Another think I have noticed is that so many of these deer run off with arrows hanging out of them. In my experience this causes the deer to run farther. They can feel the arrow moving inside them. It's almost like they think whatever is attacking them is still there.
    Get a clean pass through on a heart/ double lung shot and more times than not that deer will run 20-40 yards and stop to access the situation and then crash right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

15. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe that every broadhead has it's place. I believe that we all screw up on shots too. I believe that many of us screw up more often than we want to publicly admit. The difference is that only a small percentage will ever video the entire hunt and make it available to the masses.

I have nothing against mechanical heads at all. They can open up massive holes. Sadly bone is their weak spot. I have said it for years that I want a broadhead that bails me out when I don't do my job perfectly. I have always been a cut on contact head person. I have found that a good cut on contact fixed blade head drives through and deeper better than anything else. Whether that is through bone or through large body animals. It just does.

Here is an example from a few weeks ago. I shot this buck at 28 yards. I stopped him and we was on full alert. He did the drop/spin at the shot. I should of held lower, but again ... I'm not perfect. The broadhead hit him square in the shoulder, drove through his right shoulder bone, completely through the dip in the spine, and came to a stop THROUGH the off side bone, with the tip of the head just piercing the off side hide. That is what I want out of my setup. Here is the slow motion video and below it is the point of impact on the deer anatomy graphic. The setup ... 60# 29" draw bow, 425 gr arrow, 100 gr Magnus Ser-razor Black Hornet. Fixed blade heads have saved my backside more times that I want to admit and I always error on the side of getting into the shoulder than getting into the liver/guts whenever possible on my aiming point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  16. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tried and true!!!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

17. Skunkworkx

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I overgeneralized a bit in my anatomy...it didn't technically go through the front "shoulder"; but it absolutely did go through both the near side humerus (leg bone that attaches to the shoulder) and offside radius (bone under the humerus.) Pretty much everyone I know refers to a deer's "shoulder" generically as either of the upper leg bones so I got lazy and went with that. Allow me to be more precise:

It hit the lower (thicker) end of the humerus taking out a chunk of bone without actually breaking it all the way through (impact bent the fixed blade a bit) then went through the heart and lungs; and then shattered the upper end of the offside radius on exit. That's a fact. The deer was dead in less than 10 seconds.

19. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe that many of the shots that are back are due to the fact that deer move forward. Whether taking a step or just leaning forward. All awhile, us archers are trying to avoid tucking that pin too close to the shoulder.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

20. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you've watched any of my videos you can tell I don't pay attention to the camera. I'll just turn it on and see what I get when I review it at home.

With that said I've only shot at two whitetails in my life and the second one was walking. Because of that I did hit him a little back at 20yds. Lesson learned.

I'll be stop and walking deer in the future and aim for the heart and not just a double lung shot.

Back to the camera mounted on my bow. This video was the first time I've ever remembered to keep the camera on the game after the shot.
    We found him two days later 300yds away.

Swamp Buck - YouTube