Lonewolf setup procedure

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by jgaudiojr, Oct 25, 2016.

1. jgaudiojr

jgaudiojr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After watching the latest episode of BHOD and seeing todd's lonewolf hang on set up. I was curious of anybody's, including pro-staff process for setting up their lonewolf. One and done on the way up? I'm interested to hear the different ways people have come up with to set up their equipment.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is the process I use.

How I climb with my Lone Wolf Sticks - YouTube

I leave my stand on the ground when I do this but keep it attached to my harness with the bow rope. Once the sticks are up, I pull up the stand and hang it and then climb in. Without climbing down, I can hang all four sticks and stand using this method and I can leave a small backpack on while I'm doing it. Takes well under 10 min if the tree doesn't require trimming to get in.

Also - I use the Lone Wolf Silent Tote bow rope. I leave my bow in a specific spot right under where I anticipate the platform of the stand will be. The Silent Tote lets me drop the rope back down after getting the stand hung, and I can slip the "hook" between the cables on the bow to grapple it and then pull back up. So essentially I can climb while hanging, and never have to take two trips up the tree to get settled.

[​IMG]

3. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pack that holds that stand and the belt for it hold the straps for the stand.

The first thing I do is get my tree steps off my pack then cinch everything else down tight. I then tie my bow up with a rope. I put the first step up on the tree while on the ground, then have the other in my hand and the last hangs from my harness. Go up the first step, set the second, get on the second, set the third. When i get on the first step I use my linesman belt. After I get on the third I open the pouch that holds the EZ hang strap and set that. Pull the stand from the pack and put it on the EZ Hang and then use the other strap and set that stand the rest of the way. I then get up in the stand and set my safety harness up. After that I hang my pack and pull up my bow.

The process usually takes about ten minutes, maybe a little less or more depending on the tree.

4. Bow Duke

Bow Duke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I attached two pullup ropes to my backpack and bow.

I attach my first stick to the tree from the ground.

I stand on my first stick and attach the second stick to the tree (I'm standing about 3 feet off the ground).

I attach my two remaining sticks to my harness (paracord loops on each hip). I also put the stand on my back and attach the pullup ropes to my harness.

I attach my linesman strap and climb up attaching each of the two remaining sticks to the tree. I then attach the stand to the tree and my lifeline to the tree. I clip to the lifeline, remove linesman strap and climb into the tree. I then pull up my backpack and bow.

All in one trip.

5. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a LW but I'm still one of the cool kids. However, my totally awesome Muddy stand and sticks go up fairly easy. I put up the first 2 sticks then I use the straps to form a daisy chain and hang the first stick by my belt. I just pul them up remove the closest one and hang the next by my belt while I hang the other. The down side to this is you have several sticks hanging loose swinging beneath you. I haven't had them bang against anything yet, but I suppose it could happen.

6. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I attach four sticks to my hanger harness and use my life line as a hoist rope for my lone wolf stand. I start my climb and unhook the sticks from my harness as I climb. Once I reach my designated height I then pull up my lifwe line which is tied off to my stand. I set the stand tie my life line off and step onto the platform. I havent done a hang and hunt set this season so thats it for me, when I come back to it im ready to hunt. I did film a segment on hanging a set from start to finish hopefully that footage will be used with this weeks episode of my buck harvest.

7. BowhuntOrDie

BowhuntOrDie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I do! Works for me and I can get the set hung in about 10min or less as long as no branches to be cut/trimmed. And as was said, its all done in one trip! Though remember, always use a linemans belt when hanging your sticks guys, take it from someone who has fallen before!