Out of say 300 kills on this site, there are only 6-10 pass through shots?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by steintp, Dec 16, 2016.

1. steintp

steintp Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Now i Know EVERYONE will blow up when i say this butttttt.... out of every episode from season one through seven. How come out of the hundreds of kills there are maybe 6-10 pass total pass through shots? so eh 5-10% shots are pass through.
    Now i have always read Mathews this, and Mathews that. Now dont get me wrong the new Halon is sweet! But the one thing i ALWAYS key in on, on these new bows when testing them is the transfer of kinetic energy. And Mathews well they arent the best. And i have had several buddies in town totally switch away from brand new Mathews in one year of use because they say in the field they have had the same results (As in little pass through).Now i was just wondering if i was the only viewer that noticed the so few amount of pass through shots?
    And yes i know most of the deer die on here and i think this site out does any other webisode but just a thought?something to pay attention to.

2. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am interested in hereomg the comments on this thread. Never heard that about mathews. I can't say for all the shots but angle of the deer plays a role. I think I heard Todd say today on the show his arrow hit the other shoulder. Should an arrow be able to go thru the opposite shpulder?

Sent from my VS990 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. mobowdoebuck

mobowdoebuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Probable more to do with light arrows and Mechanical broadheads.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think that there are a lot of variables besides the brand of a bow when it comes to penetration.

JP Thornsley likes this.
  5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It has to do with the big mechanicals most of the guys are shooting, not the bows. It doesn't matter what bow you shoot, if you are using a massive mechanical you won't get as many pass throughs. It's a trade off most guys are well aware of and willing to take for the extra cutting diameter.

6. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely, i doubt brand has much of an effect on this at all. Poundage would but I would think most guys are shooting higher poundage.. huge cutting surfaces slow down faster.
    T

7. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
    JP Thornsley likes this.
  8. kwachHTX

kwachHTX Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Mathews and get pass through shots no problem. This year I had a complete pass through with my No Cam HTX, and that bow isn't the most powerful bow out there by any means. Another, I shot a buck quartering away hard, went through almost the entire length of the deer and got stuck in the off shoulder. I could feel the tip of the broadhead sticking out of the shoulder bone. Needless to say I was pretty impressed. I agree with the ^^^ comments, the massive broadheads will limit pass through shots.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Massive broad heads with the right bow and arrow will pass thru. How dare you rip Mathews.;)

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    As Matt said, bow manufacturer is not a factor in penetration.

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All 5 deer I've shot with my 65# Mathews Zx7 have had 2 holes except 1. The one? A buck I shot in the shoulder area this fall with a NAP Spitfire DoubleCross at appx. 25yds. I got maybe 3" of penetration max and then the arrow popped out less than 15 yards from POI as he ran. I did not recover that animal. It started pouring rain less than an hour after the shot; I searched for over 6 hours after I lost blood. I'm fairly certain he made it 2 properties over and I could not enter that 2nd property. He probably lived with that little penetration but who knows.

With every other deer, sometimes the arrow didn't go all the way out the exit hole but at least there have been 2 holes. Even the other buck I shot and recovered this season (using a Muzzy HB) the arrow went thru his front upper leg bone and shattered the offside leg bone as well. And that was at 48 yards.

So the cause is not Mathews (and not all Mathews are the same, either. All things equal, a Monster Chill hits noticeably harder than the NoCam.)

The culprit is almost assuredly the big expandables- especially ones with reverse deploy blades and a non-CoC tip. I've noticed that the guys on BHOD appeared to consistently got the best penetration with the KZs vs other NAPs over the years. But if they're willing to trade 1 huge hole for 2 smaller ones and they're still recovering deer, that's their business.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    JP Thornsley likes this.
  12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Please.....elaborate on how the brand of the bow impacts this more than the arrow build (tip to nock), accuracy of the shooter and the DL/DW of the shooter.....SMH....

(Shot a Mission Venture...discount generic Mathews and blew through deer...must have been a mistake every time)

13. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your first post is totally speculation based on what you have viewed? Are you Trolling? There are several variables that factor in whether there is a pass thru on a deer regardless of brand of bow.

Things to consider:

Weight of arrow
    Type of Broadhead
    Distance of Shot
    Angle of Shot
    Shot Placement
    Size of Deer
    Draw Weight of Bow
    Draw Length of Bow

With those things to consider, you are watching BHOD and decide to speculate that it's only the brand of bow?

JP Thornsley likes this.
  14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    :lol:

Man, I do feel like we go through this every couple of months around here. You should go back and read this thread - I elaborated quite a bit on this very topic. http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunt-or-die-web-show/penetration-76421/

I'd like to call to everyone's attention this particular piece of that thread, in case you don't click and read (which I'm sure most people wont).

I will end this by saying that penetration isn't what kills deer. Putting an arrow in the right location does. Sure it's cool and fun to blow an arrow through a whitetail and have it buried into the ground but the fact of the matter is that we're not trying to kill the ground. We're killing the animal. The larger the hole the better the chance you have of taking out major veins, arteries and organs which generates bigger blood trails and more recoveries. The trade off is that you sacrifice penetration. You simply don't get as many of those stuck-in-the-ground pass thru shots as you once did. This isn't rocket science here.

Schuls and JP Thornsley like this.
  15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I would disagree pretty strongly with this. We get much better penetration and pass thru shots with "over the top" mechanicals like the original Spitfire than a Killzone. The smaller entrance hole uses up significantly less energy and allows the blades to really start working once they're past the hide/ribs and into the soft tissue.

I'm sure most of us have killed deer with fixed blades, "over the top" mechanicals and "correct opening" mechanicals and I believe the universal truth of things is that if you execute the shot properly the animal dies quickly - regardless of what's on the front of your arrow.

Schuls and seangarchery like this.
  16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here we go again, break out the popcorn!! lol

JP Thornsley likes this.
  17. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  18. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Simply put a 450 grain arrow moving at 290 fps coming out of Mathews has the same potential energy as a 450 grain arrow moving 290 fps out of any other brand. It is simple math.

JP Thornsley likes this.
  19. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's your show and I'm not going to argue your experiences...I'm just a fan and have watched every episode and it seems stuck in my head that you (seem to recall you used a CoC Spitfire a lot? If I'm wrong my apologies) and those who used the KZs seemed to get more pass throughs than the others not using KZs. And as other posts have mentioned it may be apples to oranges when it comes to set ups. For example, I remember a while back Dean was (still?) using a light draw weight and low KE Killzones and was doing alright. I know Richie Music is using a pretty heavy set up so any anecdotal comparisons need to take that into account.

I have done my own backyard tests and always got better penetration with rear-deploy 2 blades like Rage Hypodermics vs. three blade over the tops such as Spitfires and GrimReapers, etc with everything else being equal.

I liked my Spifires a lot (which were non CoC) but I always got noticeably better penetration with a Rage Hypo. I'm no longer shooting the Rage for other reasons but still like my rear deploy style vs. the over the top. Maybe the CoC would change that experience.

Regardless, the OPs premise was ludicrous and we've all probably given it too much airtime at this point.

20. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad I covered over the Mathews stickers with Hoyt stickers on my bow. Now I don't have to worry about not getting a pass through.

Drivingtacks and JP Thornsley like this.