Pro staff

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by blockhead00, Sep 23, 2016.

1. blockhead00

blockhead00 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys have any pro staff in Michigan? I've been watching the show from the beginning and I believe I've only seen the lady from mi and her husband shoot a buck in Ohio, and that was the only time they were on there.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    We don't have any team members in Michigan at the current time.

3. slowmow24

slowmow24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys have any in Georgia by any chance Justin?

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Negative.

5. blockhead00

blockhead00 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Are you guys looking for some people in Michigan?

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    We're not actively seeking out new team members, but we're always open if the right person or people come along. We get a lot of inquiries about being on the team however many people don't realize the amount of work and dedication that goes into filming hunts, nor are they willing to spend the money to convert their equipment to what's needed for the show.

Like anything in life if you want something bad enough you need to be willing to work hard for it and make some sacrifices. Anyone we take on as a new team member needs to have proven experience filming hunts with a good camera and have at least one, if not several, successful harvests on film. That's probably the biggest area where people fall short when inquiring about getting on the team. We get a lot of "Hey, I'm thinking about buying a camera and want to get on the team" type of e-mails. That's basically the same as walking into a football training camp and saying "I'm thinking about trying this football thing, I think I'd be good at it! You have a spot for me on the team?" You can imagine the looks you'd get.

So for anyone that wants to earn their way onto a video team of any sort my best suggestion is to get a camera (or several cameras), a tripod, fluid head, camera arm, microphone, lanc controller and all of the other gear you're going to need. Learn how to use it. Hunt for a season or two with it and find out if it's really for you. Do you like it? Can you get it done in crunch time when it matters most? The filming thing isn't for everyone. Plenty of people have tried and failed or tried and found out it was too much work. If you do find that you enjoy it, then work on getting really good at what you do. Get comfortable on camera and learn how to do a good interview. Learn how to properly frame your subject and tell a story of your hunt. Then put together a "resume" video of sorts. That's going to be your best shot at landing a spot whether it be with us or anyone else.

7. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just to build on that as I have been doing this for 4 years now with a group of friends in NY...it is even more difficult when you have to pass on a deer because you aren't able to get the camera on it, or to make sure it is always with you and running. We've noticed that when things get tough, the guys that aren't as dedicated to capturing the film will ditch the camera all together. When we sit down to edit, you can't use film that doesn't exist. That goes for B-Roll and other supportive footage as well. There's been multiple examples in BHOD episodes where a hunter wasn't able to get the deer on film or couldn't get the shot off and that is a tough pill for any hunter to swallow.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    True - this is all part of making that sacrifice. In the past we've used some questionable footage simply because we needed something to fill time on the show. Now that we have a group of reliable and experienced guys filming hunts, we're a lot more selective about what's used and what isn't used. There's been a lot of footage submitted by team members that hasn't seen the light of day because it wasn't good enough quality for the show. That's a painful thing for both the person filming the hunt and for us. But as you said, you can't make a show or a video out of footage that doesn't exist. And believe me, we've heard every excuse in the book as to why it didn't happen.

I'd be lying if I said the thought of quitting filming hunts has never crossed my mind because it has. It's a lot of work and can add a lot of pressure at the moment of truth. That's something I've struggled with for years and why I personally don't enjoy self filming as much as I enjoy filming with a partner. Having to worry about 2 or 3 cameras and making a clean shot is a very difficult thing to do. For me personally I'm a much more effective killer when I only have one job - putting an arrow through an animal's lungs. If that means sacrificing a good chunk of my hunting season to film with a partner (Tommy) than so be it. Again, that's a tough pill to swallow for a lot of hunters but often a necessary sacrifice to do something you love.

9. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And for anybody who plans on doing so with a partner, it won't work with everybody. It takes equal amounts of passion and sacrifice from both people. My hunting partner only hunted two days this season. He shot a buck his first archery sit and a buck opening day of gun season, and I couldn't have asked for someone better to hunt with because he stuck it out with me all year without a tag in his pocket and gave up a lot of time he could've been filling doe tags, spending time with family, etc...

10. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For those of us that have been doing this for a long time (both video and editing), do have the quality equipment, have the financial resources to upgrade any equipment if needed, have connections in the outdoor industry, and understand the drive/commitment that it takes ... what would be the best way to reach out to the Bowhunt or Die Team if they would be interested in expanding.

Signed,

"Interested from Indiana"

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Email [email protected] and our pro staff manager will get back to you with an official application to submit. It's that easy. :tu:

12. blockhead00

blockhead00 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't asking for a spot haha, I was just curious about if you guys knew anybody in Michigan, Because it's the only state in the Midwest you don't have somebody in. I'm just starting out filming my own hunts so I know I'm nowhere near your guys level. But you did put it in perspective about how challenging it is. Plus like you said I couldn't afford to make the switch to all of the stuff you guys use on the prostaff. Those lone wolfs are pretty expensive haha

13. bigEhaw

bigEhaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Where in Michigan are you at blockhead? I'm from Michigan, too.

14. blockhead00

blockhead00 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Kalamazoo area, but I do most of my hunting in Manistee county. What about you?

15. bigEhaw

bigEhaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just south of Kalamazoo. Just moved from Vicksburg to the outskirts of Marcellus. Couple more days. Good luck man

16. blockhead00

blockhead00 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! Thanks man! You too

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great Advice!!

18. LeL

LeL Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any team members from Canada? I have seen some canadian black bear hunts but no canadian members.

19. LeL

LeL Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any members from Canada?

20. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No Canadian Prostaffers currently. I'm probably the closest since I'm only 14 miles from the Canadian border here in Ely, MN.