Thank you and advice?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by dcaldwell, Sep 19, 2016.

1. dcaldwell

dcaldwell Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So first off I wanna thank the entire BHOD team for being very real and showing how most of us actually hunt... a doe kill... less than stellar shots.. all shown. You are all real people who love what you do!!

Also the property I hunt is very small at only 14 acres that is mostly pasture. The neighbors on all sides bait deer and I would rather not if I don't have to. I am on a VERY tight budget and was wondering what I could do to improve my area... I thought about food plots but I don't feel like having cows eating my deer food. I'm tired of having the neighbors kill the deer I'm after and I need help to hold deer and make them want to be where I am instead of the bait.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to compete with bait and having cows around that also complicates things. You'll have to find trails that deer are regularly using and catch them crossing unless you can do some cutting and can create more bedding areas on the property and then be able to catch them coming and going.

3. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This,great advice.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what he said.

Is the entire 14 acres pasture with cows in it? Or is there any areas you can improve with better habitat and/or food plots?

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same problem so I can relate. A big difference is no cows any more. With a small tract you either need a food source, water or bedding to attract them for what it is worth. Bait I will say is probably the least expensive. Will the landowner let you put up a small temp fence that will keep cows out and allow deer in? I have had some results doing this in the past. Fencing off a small area and putting down oats and cereal rye.

6. dcaldwell

Dislikes Received:
    The parts that aren't pasture are open hay fields. The farmer isn't willing to let me put food plot there as they don't wanna lose any of their hay field.

7. dcaldwell

Dislikes Received:
    I can ask about that. Good idea

8. dcaldwell

Dislikes Received:
    Update after speaking to the landowner he has agreed to let me put a food plot in an area and will run fence to keep the cows out. Problem is its in a pretty shady area (an old logging road through a small stand of timber). For those here more familiar with food plots than I. Can you recommend a good seed for this? Also, is it too late this year to plant and still see results?

9. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like eagle seed broadside blend, or any good turnip or clover usually does the trick for me but there are a million types to chose from do a little research and see which one you like then chose a brand.