A little nervous of the doublecross

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Sburns08, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a buddy kill a doe, well 2 actually in the same sit. He mentioned that his doublecross did not get a pass through and only had about 6 inches of penetration. He also said that his second set of blades did not open. I've watched episode 11 with the 2 doe down and the shot looked great. I hope it's shear devastation. I'll judge off my first deer. I may switch back to the kill zone, I know those things were magical. What poundage are yall shooting on the show? He shoots 60lbs u think that makes a difference?

2. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    There are so many variables here is't impossible to say what happened or didn't happen.

- How heavy is his arrow and what's his draw length?
    - How far was the shot?
    - What was the shot angle?
    - How does he know the bleeders didn't open? Just because they're closed when you pull the arrow back out of the animal doesn't mean they didn't open. Look at the wound to see if it shows all 4 cuts, and also look at the ferrule of the broadhead under the blade. If they opened it will show an impact mark where the blade slammed into the ferrule.

Most of us are shooting between 65 and 70 lbs with an arrow anywhere from 400 to 450 grains.

4. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll have to ask him a little more about the details. I'm just skeptical but agian I haven't shot anything this year yet. He said one shot was 33yds and the second one walked in about 10 yds so it was a top down shot i understand why that one wasn't a pass through. I'm going to use the broadheads regardless because I bought them. I'll have to just wait it out and see for myself. I love the science behind them though

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The reality is that more surface area means more drag, more drag equals the need for more energy to get a pass through. I currently Am shooting the Xecutioner and every animal to date I have hit was a passthrough. My setup is 455 grains, 283 FPS, 27 inch draw and 70#. Now 60 lbs at 29 inch draw could generate the same numbers depending upon the bow. If I have a choice between a really big cut and a passthrough. I'll take the passthrough any day of the week.

If you have already made the investment. At least try them and gauge for yourself. Just be careful to stay away from dense bone if you can. Obvious I know but can be a factor.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  6. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    buddy blew one through a bear last week and it went about 20 feet... not a great shot either... tore it wide open.

7. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How did these group with your FP?

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All the factors Justin listed are ones I'd ask your buddy...but also add how well tuned was his bow? So many various factors can impact the inability of a pass through shot.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Mine are grouping right with my field points, although I'm not sure that really says much. The vast majority of broadheads will group with field points if your bow/arrow setup is tuned properly. I purposely practice with 3 or 4 different broadheads both fixed and mechanical just to see how they all impact. When setup properly, they all hit the same spots. IMO most cases of broadheads not hitting with field points are more a factor of the bow being out of tune than it is the broadhead not flying properly.

As for the DoubleCross, our team has about 1/2 dozen kills with them so far this season with no issues. One thing you should expect is a very large entry hole as the blades slam open on impact. We're seeing some 2 and 3 inch holes on entry. As the arrow loses momentum through the animal the main blades to tend to close a little bit so your exit isn't anywhere near as big as the entry. We're seeing 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" exit holes - which is still pretty big. Just about every shot has been a pass through - most of the time the arrow falls out the exit. Don't expect a blow through with the arrow stuck into the ground. We're talking about a 4 blade head with 3" of cutting surface. It takes a lot out of the arrow when it pushes that much metal through a whitetail.

Blood trails have been tremendous. Zero reports of bleeder blades not opening. :tu:

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    But....but.....but...if this is true probably over half of the people I know that use mechanicals don't have a reason for doing so if this is true :evilgrin: I agree whole heartedly.

11. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I walked into the archery shop yesterday to get some extra bow hangers and these were on sale for $30. There's been 8-10 does in my food plot every night so I will be giving them a test drive hopefully this week. Quit being so convincing Justin.

12. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I had a complete pass-through on the doe I shot this year. She was big and mature and I was extremely impressed.

One important note - I had a 50 grain insert in the front of my arrow.

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Big AND Mature? Dang, son. That's a Trophy Doe right there. :tu:

14. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    LOL. It was a trophy doe. Just trying to say that she was big ... and mature i guess. HA