question on Justin's arrow weight

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by rick-florida, Apr 16, 2016.

1. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, on the thread regarding KE you mentioned that you shot 4 deer with 500 grain arrow and 1 with a 380 grain arrow. could you provide some background on those two arrow weights and why the shift from one to another? did you go to the heavier weight because of the 380 grain performance or did you go to the 380 because you needed a flatter trajectory...or...

thanks.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Generally speaking I like to hunt with a heavier arrow for added momentum and penetration - hence the 500 grain setup. During this past late season we were doe hunting and knowing the deer tend to be much jumpier/more skittish during late season with cold temps I wanted something that was faster with a flatter trajectory.

The 500 grain setup was a Carbon Express Pile Driver Pass Thru Extreme, the 380 a Carbon Express Maxima BLU.

3. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, that is very helpful. I have a very nice buck in the same spot two years in a row but only get to see him once a season at about 35 yards. have been mulling over different arrow weights and strategy on how to approach it this year if the buck cooperates one more time. Hence my interest in the circumstances and your rationale between those two arrow weights. thanks again for the detail.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016