Why only a web show?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by WesternMdHardwoods, Nov 7, 2014.

1. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First Off I am not here trying to kiss any ***, just really wanna know? Also before anyone says anything, I know I could have changed the channel but it really became comical to me after awhile.

So as I sit here and watch hunting shows on The Pursuit channel I am wondering how is BHOD not on television?

The shows I have watched the past couple hours, everyone one of them were horrible? Im talking BAD Video/Sound quality, bad editing, don't get me started on the hosts, a couple of the shows gave me motion sickness with the way the cameras were shaking.
    I swear some of them are using video cameras from the 90's and running them freehand.

How do those people make it on a TV station? I am seriously confused?

I understand there is probably a ton of work involved to produce footage for TV but what you guys do on BHOD is already above and beyond what I have seen so far on Pursuit, so why are you guys not?

2. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on if that's what direction they want to take it. If that's the direction they want to go, that's probably the next step. There's a difference between having the money to buy a time slot and being asked to fill a time slot. Take Heartland Bowhunter for example, they were a Web show for a few seasons before getting on the tube too. Time and popularity. And for the record I completely agree with you - BHOD is well above majority of the garbage on TV.

3. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I followed HB before they made it on TV. They were destined to make it, what they do is above and beyond what anyone is producing IMO.
    I know nothing as far as what it takes for someone like them to make it on TV, I figured someone like Pursuit or Outdoor Channel paid you for your footage. I didn't know people actually paid someone for a slot?

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For one, you'd have restrictions of what you can show. Time and format are also restricted. Not to mention you'd lose what I think is one of the best parts of BHOD, which is it's relevance. The "semi live" aspect of the show makes new releases that much more interesting for me.

As you can plainly see, any... Anybody that has the cash can put a show on TV, regardless of quality. I just don't think they care to.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would be afraid like Fitz said that moving the show to TV it would loose something. Like you said it's a quality show do why mess with it if it ain't broke. :tu:

6. Simplicity

Simplicity Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Please don't go to TV!!!!! All that TV is garbage! I cannot stand watching most of those hunts.

7. hoythunter342

hoythunter342 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like it as a web show. One reason like fitz said its "semi -live" i dont know about you but i look forward to fridays to watch the new episode!! I sit in school and cant wait to get home and hook the lap top up to the tv and put on some bhod!!!!

8. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How can one become a BHOD pro staffer????

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I personally hope BHOD remains a Web show unless they truly can make the switch without losing their niche. Going to TV may be where the money is at for the time being but the Web is the future of all media. Just like TV killed radio shows, the Internet will kill TV shows. Media is all shifting to the Web, it would make no sense to go in that direction, but it is certainly open if they wish to take it there. My dream is to have a hunting show on the Web.

10. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Here you go, you need to submit ap here.
    [email protected]

11. lgordon711

lgordon711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The show is awesome but the timing sucks. Fridays im hunting with no internet so I have to wait til monday to watch it.

12. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Thats the beauty of a web show, after it airs its there to watch free 24-7

13. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I also prefer it as a web show. I actually like it being offered in a more informal manner. Like, Mike said, they show more than they could with a TV slot. Just has a more "doing this for fun" feel to it, I think. Just me, I suppose.

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the late response guys - been out chasing deer (unsuccessfully I might add) for the past 4 days. *sigh*

In any case I think guys covered a lot of ground already but IMO missed the biggest reason and that's the question - WHY TV? Aside from the common belief that you've "made it" if you buy yourself some TV air time what are the real advantages?

What many don't realize when it comes to hunting programs is that if you want to have your show on TV all you need to do is get out your check book and pay for air time. That may not be true for the top spots on the top channels as you do have to meet some quality guidelines, but for the most part if you've got the money you can pay to play. In which case have you really "made it"?

Bowhunting.com alone reaches more than 2 million bow hunters each year. Our YouTube channel has almost 20,000 subscribers and over 4.3 million video views. Our Roku channel is going to break 100,000 subscribers before the year's end. Our reach rivals that of many TV shows and we have the freedom to do, say and show whatever we want all without paying to get our faces on the boob tube and having to charge our Sponsors out the nose so we can afford the air time and added production costs.

I know it's cool to see your face on TV and there's still a stigma that if you're on the Tube you've hit the big time but ultimately that's not why we're doing a show in the first place. We don't want to be stars. We simply want to film our hunts, have a good time, hopefully help people learn some stuff along the way and expose them to the greater good of Bowhunting.com.

[​IMG]

15. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I could almost hear the anthem music playing in the background as I read Justin's post

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My anthem is Real American Hero.

[video=youtube_share;HtrkgjtwABc]http://youtu.be/HtrkgjtwABc[/video]

17. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was being a little "snarkey" when I posed the question about how to become a BHOD pro staffer but thank you bloodcrick for posting the application. I truly enjoy watching all the BHOD staff do their thing and hope you continue to film your hunts. I got into deer hunting 3yrs ago at 36 years old and chose archery as my method, it has since grown into a passion/addiction. I have probably 40 hunts under my belt and have taken two deer since starting and I owe much of my success and know how to BHOD and other pro/amature filmed hunts. I didnt grow up in the woods and I've yet to walk in with anyone in my hunts now, just me and my bow. So for some like myself the show is educational as well as entertainment.
    That being said keep up the good work, maybe in a year or two when I get some film equipment and have a better handle on our Minnesota public land whitetails I'll submit an application...........BOWHUNT OR DIE !!!!!

18. SOliver

SOliver Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Don't change a thing on the show. I like it just the way it is. (PERFECT)

19. Jeeper

Jeeper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My sentiments exactly.

20. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just started watching the web show im glad it on here and not tv.most hunting shows just aint worth the extra money on cable or dish.