First timer - questions

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by BigPhil_H, Mar 30, 2015.

1. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My friend called yesterday and asked if I wanted to go out with a guide this weekend.

Is $75 per person, per night a good price?
    Is this a good time of the year to go or am I wasting my time?

2. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I assume you are going out for turkey.. What all is the guide going to be doing for you? Do they have references? Almost anyone can say "I can guide you to some birds/deer/whatever" and take your $$. Do a little research into the guide and see what others are saying. I would also ask what they are doing for $75. Is that walking you to a spot and saying "sit here" and they leave or are they sitting with you, calling in birds and educating you and is that for public land or private land??

3. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ Bowfishing section and per a night lol

Not real sure on price but seems pretty fair. Around me spring time is the best time of year with the carp spawning. Im sure things are a little different down by you. What is the boat set up like and what will be your primary fish after?

4. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are after Gar and Buffalo this time of year is nice time of year, nights are cooler and not as many bugs after dark, with fuel prices I can see that price being reasonable I haven't been on a guided bowfishing hunt but I would pay that if the guy had a good boat and good references. Just my opinion.

5. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Cool, I've never done it before but I do fish a lot and the water temps are still just a little too cold for fish to really move to the shallows. I will talk to my guy more and see if I can talk to the guide himself to find out a little more info

6. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All in all I follow one simple moto " A bad time fishing or hunting still beats the heck out of a good day at work"

7. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Warning you will have a ton of fun and want to set up your own boat. Still waiting for the ice to melt here until I can make it out.

8. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    haha thanks guys. Looks like there has been a change in plans. Tonight I finally broke down and bought a red Wicked Light 402zf and were going to try and get after some coyotes this weekend. I just think it's too early in the year and too cold for the fish to be in the shallows

9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Good luck BigPhil and kill as many as you can!!!

10. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, i'm not sure about down there, but the warmest its been up here in northern illinois was 65 and we've killed 35-50fish every night we went out. I would assume being down south that the fish would out and about, and you have alot more species than just carp to shoot. I'd say $75 is a good price.

I will warn you... You're gonna get hooked and end up looking for your own bow and boat and lights after you're done

11. cwade3085

cwade3085 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    End of march first of April and into may is a perfect time. They are spawning. A buddy and I hit the river in February one "warm" night. Lol. Fish were slow but just mainly seen small ones. Hit a couple but it was still just too cold.