Setting up my Bow Questions

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by Marauder, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys and gals. I know the season is fully on it's way or may even be nearing to the end. However with me getting a new bow is leaving me with two others and I have done some thinking of what I will do with my older ones. I think I have decided to take my old PSE and make it into a bowfishing bow. For all of you that have been doing it for a while do you take your bow into the shop or work on it yourself? Mine has a newer string with lots of life but needs to have the peap taken out cuz I plan on shooting instinctive like most probably do. So my questions are:

What kind of rest is suggested or needed?
    Other than my bow, what other accessories will I need to put on it?
    Do I need a stabilizer, if I can I will put one on because there is so much vibration in my old bow it actually makes my hand kind of sting, no joking. I might have to have the shop look at it.

Any advice is welcomed because I have really no clue how this works.

Thanks in advance. Tim :tu:

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I go with the bottle for bowfishing every time. As far as the peep sight you wouldn't "have" to take it out. In the past I have taken mine to the shop to get it set up for bowfishing but now that I'm more experienced I would do it myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I go with the bottle for bowfishing every time. As far as the peep sight you wouldn't "have" to take it out. In the past I have taken mine to the shop to get it set up for bowfishing but now that I'm more experienced I would do it myself. I use a whisker biscuit with all black whiskers but I have also used the metal full containment rests and they work pretty good, I wouldn't go without full containment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have a cajun quick draw and it works ok for a rest. Just remember to put the slide stop pointing up on the arrow. In regards to the stabilizer it depends on which retriever you get. if you get the AMS retriever (bottle style) you can leave your stabilizer on but it might get tangled up in the line if you get crazy. As for the hand shock you can wrap it with something like limbsaver tentacle wrap. It basically a rubber wrap for the grip with dimples. Once you get it all set up post it up for us to see. Good luck.

5. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips guys! Should get me started! :tu:

6. 2peterhunter

2peterhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just use an old prong rest and an old golden eagle bow. I have a good setup with a reel that I bought. It can be super simple I started when I was 9 with an old browning micro and broad head tipped arrow with a duck taped string I shot over 40 one morning with that, but anyways I just learned to shoot instinctive and it is a bit of a learning curve but u can get pretty darn good.

7. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    If your just starting out I would go with a bottle reel and arrow slide. There are a lot of rest options out there just google bow fishing rest. crankpoundage down as lo as it will let you. I shoot 30 lbs but use Bow's ma just for bow fishing im thinking you wont be able to go that low. personally I use a muzzy reel and tie straight to the back of arrow.