Looking to get into bowfishing

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by jdstout, Jun 12, 2015.

1. jdstout

jdstout Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any recommendations on good bows for bowfishing? I've never done it but interested in getting into it. What is everything I'll need? I've bow hunted all my life for deer but that's about it.

Thanks

2. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what you want to spend! You can start into a Mission or PSE combo for about $400 ready to shoot, all the way up to $1000+ For an Oneida Osprey. I have owned about 10 bowfishing bows over the past few years and i own 4 now... Let me know if you have any specific questions etc!

3. cwade3085

cwade3085 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the Alpine Mako and love it.. I know a few that also shoots the pse and mission bows. Are you going to shoot rivers, lakes ect?. We usually shoot shallow rocky rivers here. Around 40# is about all you want if not a little less. You want a bow that's durable and rugged especially if shooting off a boat in rivers. Because you will get thrown around some. Hitting logs and big rocks that you don't see sometimes under the water until it's too late. Or throwing the bow down to grab that big grassy or big head you just shot.... AMS retrever and a quick draw rest in my opinion is the cheapest /best set up to start with. Also put some finger savers on the string you'll think yourself at the end of the day and or night.

4. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My bowfishing bow is the browning adrenaline that I grew out of. Its at 50 pounds and has a long enough draw length. I was a great way to repurpose my youth hunting bow. After you get a bow, I would recommend a different one then you hunting bow, all you really need is an arrow or two and a reel. I have the AMS bowfishing reel.