Post Thanks / Like

Planning a Colorado Elk hunt...tip?

A friend and I are planning on going to Colorado on our first elk hunt this September and would appreciate any advice on areas to hunt.... I don't expect anyone to give their honey hole. Being from Tennessee I'm not very familiar public lands I should avoid or areas that would better to check out. We are wanting to a diy trip but would be open to semi guided if necessary. I would appreciate any advice given. Thanks in advance!
    Prime Rival
    60# 29.5DL
    Trophy Ridge WB
    Sword Apex .010
    Black Eagle Zombie Slayer 300 spine
    Grave Digger 125 gr. Chisel tip

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Deerz View Post
    A friend and I are planning on going to Colorado on our first elk hunt this September and would appreciate any advice on areas to hunt.... I don't expect anyone to give their honey hole. Being from Tennessee I'm not very familiar public lands I should avoid or areas that would better to check out. We are wanting to a diy trip but would be open to semi guided if necessary. I would appreciate any advice given. Thanks in advance!
    The department of wildlife is a great place to start. A ton of variables. Get on the google machine and start narrowing down areas by type of terrain. What kind of shape are you in? Plan on giving yourself a few days to acclimate to the altitude. The state has a huge elk herd. Most of which is fairly accessible. Check out bowsite as well that is where I was able to learn a lot about diy elk hunting. Do a ton of research and have fun with it. Be careful it can be very addictivePlanning a Colorado Elk hunt...tip?
    Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums
    Likes Donkey Deerz liked this post

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a lot of info available on the Colorado CPW site as a start. Some things that might help in narrowing would be looking at those gmus that are draw v otc, looking at the statistics to try to identify some gmus (your looking for details like herd size, harvest ratios, bull/cow ratios), prevalence of CWD in the GMU.

Another thing to consider are the physical characteristics of areas terrain, take serious stock of your fitness and think about how you plan to hunt. A several (5-10k) thousand ft elevation difference from your native home will have an effect on your hunt for at least a couple days so either really work to get in shape or plan for an are that will give you hunting options for a couple easy days at the start. Are you looking to bivy/spike/base camp or hotel hunt? That may also limit some choices.

The next thing I'd think about is public land that let's you get far enough from people (roads, trails, towns) yet give you options and enough accessibility to meet your needs i.e. maybe a town within reasonable driving distance of you need goods/supplies or services, water, roads/trails to gain access.

Final point I'd mention is this year has some crazy weather in areas of CO (and some other western states) and A LOT of snow. So much in some areas that locals are concerned the elk can't get to food and could have some local winter kill. So read local pubs, forums, other social media groups to try to glean some insights.

I know you might be looking for more specifics, but others here or on Rokslide will probably cite a number of areas/gmus...hope there is something above that helps.
    Last edited by wl704; 02-04-2017 at 10:47 AM.

The Deadly Dozen-Team 13

Oneida H250 & Screaming Eagle, Bear Recurve
    CX Mayhem Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and Elk101 and your local RMEF also other good resources...
    Last edited by wl704; 02-04-2017 at 08:54 PM.

The Deadly Dozen-Team 13

Oneida H250 & Screaming Eagle, Bear Recurve
    CX Mayhem Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much. That was very good and helpful information. We are wanting to to a base camp. Since I joined I'm constantly amazed at how helpful people here are.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums
    Prime Rival
    60# 29.5DL
    Trophy Ridge WB
    Sword Apex .010
    Black Eagle Zombie Slayer 300 spine
    Grave Digger 125 gr. Chisel tip

Post Thanks / Like
    Find the 2016 Colorado elk hunt invite on here. They have a lot of info and some good guys.

Hoyt Rampage XT
    Magnus buzzcut & Black hornet Broadheads