Elk Rookie

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by SheddingLightTravis, Feb 10, 2016.

1. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I am starting to gear up and get ready for my first ever elk hunt. We will be going to southern Colorado near Pagosa Springs for the 2nd rifle season. (I do anticipate coming back sometime to give the bowhunting a try). I'm going out with my dad, brother, friend and meeting some cousins who have been before and had success. We are hunting public land.

I've been told we need to scout the area. My basic rookie question is where should I be looking? I know I need to be in shape and ready to hike and get my butt kicked by the altitude. But I'm clueless when it comes to figuring out where the elk herd will be in 2nd season. My cousin seems to know what he's doing and has gotten elk in years past but I wanna be ready to have a plan B if he's more talk and less action. We don't have the money for a guide this year.

The trip itself is a life long dream and I will be happy just to go. But I'd like to be as knowledgable as I possibly can before arriving. Thanks!

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be careful. Elk hunting is very addicting!

Finding elk is no different than finding deer. Elk are where the elk are. There is no substitute for boots on the ground. After you have hunted an area, you will see areas that the elk frequent. The areas that I have hunted in Wyoming are way different than the areas that I have hunted elk in southern Idaho and way different than areas in southern Utah. Elk move. Once they feel pressure, they have no qualms about going to a new area 5 miles away.

I would contact the Colorado Fish & Game and talk with them. You have connections there. Use them and learn from them.

Mostly............... have fun!

3. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Google earth can be very helpful in determining what a good area might be, but without being there it can always change. The weather can help determine where you should be looking as far as how far up the mountain they are.

Find water. Elk drink a lot of water. They also like bedding in flatter areas. So if you can look at google earth and find benches for bedding with water nearby you have a good spot to check out. Doesn't mean they will be there, but can give you an educated guess. For public land. Get away from the roads. Everyone wants to hunt close to the roads. As said above, once elk are spooked they can move to another area miles away.

4. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't help too much with the question at hand,but I will say BUY THE BEST BINOCULARS YOU CAN! You will not be sorry.