Canadian Bear hunt suggestions please

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by kansasfever, Aug 25, 2013.

1. kansasfever

kansasfever Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all,

My brother and I are in the process of planning a brothers getaway hunt for next year and I need some suggestions. I am looking for a bear hunt and fish combo for a reasonable price. Area doesn't matter much but would prefer to stay within the central region of Canada. I am scouring the internet but would like some suggestions from member whom may have done a hunt there. I have three brothers and we have never really done anything together as adults and we all love to hunt so I figured this would be a great opportunity. Thanks in advance!

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  3. kansasfever

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Fitz, will check it out.

4. Bowkillz

Bowkillz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy went to Saskatchewan with South bay Outfitters and shot his first black bear with bow. He had a great time!

5. kansasfever

Dislikes Received:
    I looked at them and they looked pretty good. I actually ended up going with cygnet lake camp. Looks like a grey group of people that know their bears. Should be fun!

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

6. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just returned from Camp Quetico in Atikokan Ontario 2 weeks ago. They put you over active bait sites and have 2-3 site per person. The price for hunt/fish combo was $1400 without meals or $1700 with meals. Every other person in the camp was return customers, we were the only ones there for first time. This was our first time bear hunting. The fact that everyone else was a return customer was pretty impressive to me. However, I was the only one in camp to get a bear. The reason had more to do with the 90 degree temps. We hunted the second week of the season, the group that hunted the first week got 7 bears and wounded 8 that weren't recovered. Every week when a new group comes in, they put you in a new area that wasn't hunted that year. When you leave they shut down the area so nobody hunts a "used" spot that season. We discovered this camp by going to a couple outdoor shows this past winter and calling the references provided by the outfitter. We drove 17 miles to our bait sites each day down old logging roads and never seen another person while in the field, infact we only heard 2 vehicles go by while on the stand the entire week. My father and I had our own 4 bedroom 2 bath cabin with A/C and all the furnishings. Hope this helps. Let me know if you want anymore info.

There was a group there from Kansas while we were there. If you contact the owner, I'm sure he will give you the contact info.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  7. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bump. I am trying to plan a bear hunt for myself as a graduation gift. As of right now, Fitz's recommendation looks the best. Hoping to gather a few more recommendations to consider, though. Thanks guys.

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: