Broadheads for Hogs

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by BigHoss, Feb 21, 2017.

1. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen a lot of posts the last couple weeks about shot placement for hogs but not a lot on broadheads even though it was mentioned in a couple posts. I am going to Oklahoma next month for the first time and was wondering what the school of thought was on broadheads for pigs is, not necessarily everyone's personal preference. My first thought was a small sharp head with a heavy arrow for penetration. I talked to someone who lost 2 hogs due to a lack of a blood trail and he suggested the biggest nastiest head I could find to open them up. I've shot Exodus heads as well as Killzones and the Spitfire Doublecross last year so I don't have a problem going either way.

I'll be shooting a 480ish gr arrow about 290-300 fps so I should be good for penetration either way. It is a high fence enclosure (not my first choice but it's an opportunity to go with my dad) so they can't go far but they have had a few that they didn't recover in time to salvage. Begin it's my first year with this crew, I don't want to be that guy.

What are your thoughts.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot hogs with fixed heads and expandables. Either one will do its job when put in the boiler room. The last hog I shot with a 2.3" executioner and received a pass through with the hog standing broadside at 20 yards. If you are worried about failures or the expandable not opening the Exodus is a great choice. With the setup listed in your signature that should do you well on any hog of any size. My DL is 27 and is shoot a 450 grain arrow roughly at 280ish fps. It should definitely penetrate a thick shield. Hogs south of 225 you will have no problems with any head if you do your part though. Good luck and take pics!! :tu:

3. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Taking game is awesome with a bow but yea I'm not wasting arrows on a pig ever, but some 6.5 caliber bullets that's diffrent.

But if I had to shoot a pig with my bow I would want a small fix blade that's very sharp with a 450 or 500 grain arrow to drive it throw.

4. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was leaning towards the Exodus head when I was told about the 2 hogs that were lost because they didn't leave a trail. That got me second guessing but the last part of the story of one of the hogs was that the arrow was short, bounced off the ground and through the hog. I think putting it in the boiler room was not part of that equation.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anything two blade. IMO

I shoot them with 125g Magnus Stingers and Wasp Jak-Knifes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is the logic with a 2 blade? Not that I am doubting you, I am genuinely curious.

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Less surface area to slow the blade down and you get better penetration.

Also Boars over 150lbs try an extreme quartering away shot to slip the arrow behind the shield and not through it.

Good luck, they are a blast to hunt if you can get past their nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You were right about it being a blast!!! I went with the Exodus heads because I knew how they flew. My rest broke 2 weeks before I left so I was scrambling to get everything reset with a new rest and didn't have a lot of time to test and tune a new broadhead/arrow combination. I was flinging 490 grain Black Eagle Deep Impacts at 296 fps. All my arrows went clean through and stuck in the dirt. I was impressed but I would have like to see how it worked on a 250 pounder rather than the 125 lb size. Thanks for all the help!!

9. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: