Planning a Colorado Elk hunt...tip?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Donkey Deerz, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Donkey Deerz

Donkey Deerz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A friend and I are planning on going to Colorado on our first elk hunt this September and would appreciate any advice on areas to hunt.... I don't expect anyone to give their honey hole. Being from Tennessee I'm not very familiar public lands I should avoid or areas that would better to check out. We are wanting to a diy trip but would be open to semi guided if necessary. I would appreciate any advice given. Thanks in advance!

2. Dutchd

Dutchd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The department of wildlife is a great place to start. A ton of variables. Get on the google machine and start narrowing down areas by type of terrain. What kind of shape are you in? Plan on giving yourself a few days to acclimate to the altitude. The state has a huge elk herd. Most of which is fairly accessible. Check out bowsite as well that is where I was able to learn a lot about diy elk hunting. Do a ton of research and have fun with it. Be careful it can be very addictive
    Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Hungry Horse likes this.
  3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There's a lot of info available on the Colorado CPW site as a start. Some things that might help in narrowing would be looking at those gmus that are draw v otc, looking at the statistics to try to identify some gmus (your looking for details like herd size, harvest ratios, bull/cow ratios), prevalence of CWD in the GMU.

Another thing to consider are the physical characteristics of areas terrain, take serious stock of your fitness and think about how you plan to hunt. A several (5-10k) thousand ft elevation difference from your native home will have an effect on your hunt for at least a couple days so either really work to get in shape or plan for an are that will give you hunting options for a couple easy days at the start. Are you looking to bivy/spike/base camp or hotel hunt? That may also limit some choices.

The next thing I'd think about is public land that let's you get far enough from people (roads, trails, towns) yet give you options and enough accessibility to meet your needs i.e. maybe a town within reasonable driving distance of you need goods/supplies or services, water, roads/trails to gain access.

Final point I'd mention is this year has some crazy weather in areas of CO (and some other western states) and A LOT of snow. So much in some areas that locals are concerned the elk can't get to food and could have some local winter kill. So read local pubs, forums, other social media groups to try to glean some insights.
    [​IMG]

I know you might be looking for more specifics, but others here or on Rokslide will probably cite a number of areas/gmus...hope there is something above that helps.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Hungry Horse likes this.
  4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and Elk101 and your local RMEF also other good resources...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Hungry Horse likes this.
  5. Donkey Deerz

Donkey Deerz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much. That was very good and helpful information. We are wanting to to a base camp. Since I joined I'm constantly amazed at how helpful people here are.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Find the 2016 Colorado elk hunt invite on here. They have a lot of info and some good guys.

Donkey Deerz and Hungry Horse like this.
  7. Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Donkey Deerz likes this.
  8. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:
    Donkey Deerz likes this.
  9. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:
  10. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:
    http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/EHU.aspx

Donkey Deerz; Here is a listing, scroll down the page to the Chapters, each Chapter contains many lessons to be learned about elk hunting, read each one, as it is a progression series if I remember correctly. Excellent information !
    Also refer to youtube.com when you decide on a Unit and find videos in that area, for instance Gunnison area, not a good area this year for 2017, as they had a bad winter and have reduced tags, especially for deer, elk tags for 2nd & 3rd season are OTC, unles you want a 1st or 4th elk season tag which are Draw, Deer in Colo are all Draw, but in the Gunnison area are Units 53 54 55 521 63, 551 66 67 so look for elk hunting videos in the Gunnison area or other localities near by or the West Elk Wilderness...lots of videos. Hiking web sites like www.summitpost.org/ are good sources of information once you learn how to find mtn ranges on their web site to see photos and hikes on that area. There is so much to tell you, use Google to find a lot of information. www.bowsite.com/ hunting forums, state and regional forums is another good source for bow hunting and general hunt knowledge. www.24hourcampfire.com/ forums is a good we site... see elk section, hell...look at it all, if a gun hunter they also have a good Classifieds, they also have a bow hunting section. Also wl 704 has a good thread on a 2016 elk hunt in Unit 45 last fall, with a lot of good information in preparing and doing his 1st Colo elk hunt with Will Nelson's hunt group. wl 704 does a god job on detailing out the preparation necessary for a Colo elk hunt with photos of his hunt and hunt members. You can find a link to it towards the end of the Colorado elk hunt invite 2016, you will scroll through a lot of pages to find it at the end, or look at wl704 posts and find it Oct or Nov 2016 I believe. That will allow you to see a real hunt, with elk sightings, but no kills. and the hardships of a bivy hunt. Enjoy, HH Richard

11. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:
  12. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:
    https://www.co.wildlifelicense.com/start.php

Here is a page to buy a Colo hunting lisc and tags and Wildlife Habitat certificate. April 4th 2017 was the deadline for deer ( All Draw) , and Draw Elk tags cow or bull, in limited Units or seasons which require a Draw. OTC Units elk tags can be bought in Aug 2017, maybe July. Only 2nd and 3rd rifle elk season are normaly OTC, and many of the archery season Units. I know.... lots to learn ! Study the Colo regulations booklet well. HH Richard

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  13. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:
  14. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:
    https://14erskiers.com/blog/2012/11/more-snowless-exploration-mill-castle-to-storm-pass/

Some photos from a 14skiers.com blog, you can find interesting photos showing terrain in many places, found this doing a google search of the West Elk Wilderness I believe. I was researching Unit 54 53 521 in the Gunnison area . Google is your friend ! I have been here, 5 miles back in, but not quite this far back in, which is just the tip ( entrance) of the Wilderness Area off Mill Creek Rd . HH Richard

15. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:
    https://14erskiers.com/blog/2011/10/tr-scenic-fall-riding-in-the-castles-1-oct-2011/

Some photos from Swampy Pass / Mill Creek area just outside the West Elk Wilderness (east side) and just inside the WEW boundary aways. Unit 54 Colorado. On foot... you will be really tired trekking this. Best if using mules or horses. Just giving you Tenn folks a idea of the rugged terrain in Colo. Be in shape... be prepared. HH

16. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/top-colorado-otc-elk-hunt-units/
    Last posting tonight, a excellent article with Data to help choose a Unit, with 2015 elk kills statistic. 2016 was a bad year for elk kills in Colo, and with the bad winter in Colo in 2016 -2017, Colo might be low in tags issued and opportunities to kill to allow for the winter loss, especially deer. Choose wisely the year you choose to hunt Colo as a Non Resident. HH

17. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:

Ok last one...for the Tenn boys, Unit 81 Platora reservoir and the Continental Divide in the distance. South San Juan Wilderness. Enlarge to view best, the last square on the far right at the bottom of the video screen. Just click on it. The South San Juan Wilderness is down that winding creek at the end of the video, Foot and Horse travel only in designated Wilderness area. NO quads No bikes No bicycles. Colorado has many designated Wilderness areas. HH

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  18. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:
    So... Donkey Deerz.... What did you think of the links, articles, web sites offered, videos, photos, and advice offered you by myself and others, especially wl 704 and his 2016 elk hunt thread. I can see many have spent time offering you elk hunting advice. Just asking ? HH Richard

19. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:

Drone video of southern Colo, amazing overview of Colorado mountains, location was not disclosed. HH

20. Hungry Horse

Dislikes Received:

Rocky Mountain National Park video, not a hunting location but lots of hunting Units surrounding the park. Just a peek into the rugged Colorado's beauty. View this on You tube if you prefer. I did this National Park on my honeymoon many years ago, and again in 2004. In 2004 never saw a elk on the drive through it...unbelievable, but in 1975 we saw many elk plus bighorn sheep. HH
    So... Donkey deerz, what unit have you choose f0r your hunt ? Happy Memorial Day Tenn boys .

Last edited: May 27, 2017