Arrow Weights ......lightweight speedy arrows vs heavy, high foc arrows

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by delbowhuntr77, Dec 12, 2016.

1. delbowhuntr77

delbowhuntr77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Want get opinions and sucesses on both types of set ups. Currently shoot victory vaps or cx piledriver ptx weighing 450-500 grain out of destroyer 340 66lbs 28" draw. Lets see other set ups!

Sent from my HTC 2PST2 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Prime Rival @ 72lbs./31" draw shooting 510grain Easton Axis 300's @272FPS.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Could care less how fast I'm shooting...but I shoot a 467grain arrow from tip to nock, but am spacing it currently on exact length of them (full calcs at home).

Shoot 65lb and 28.5DL

4. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im shooting a hoyt carbon defiant 34 @ 70lb/ 30 in draw length. i was shooting an easton axis 300 spine with a 100g field tip and it weighed around 487g. it worked just fine but my foc was low round 7% so i switched to a black eagle x- impact with a outsert and a 100g tip. it weighs around 420g with an 11% foc and im getting 296fps out of my bow now

5. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting VAPs the last few years for hunting - they hit like a hammer... I've never hunted with any of the super heavy arrows so I can't compare against those but even against just targets in the yards - the VAPs seem to out penetrate all the other arrow makes/models I have.... For me and how I hunt, I'll pick up some speed over weight just because I hunt so many open places and normally don't get a chance to range - so I want that arrow relatively fast to compensate for my quick yardage estimates... Think those VAPs also penetrate good because of the extra weight they have out front with that outsert/insert....

Will say that a couple of years ago I was messing around with the chrono and the speed difference from a super heavy arrow to the blue streaks I was testing was over 40 fps - that's just too much for me to personally want to give up... But others who only expect tight/close quarters may feel differently...

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have not chronoed the new setup yet but I use to shoot light arrows, around 360 grains, but now favor heavier setups around 450 grains or heavier. Mainly in hopes of increasing my odds of a complete pass through.

7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hoyt Charger @67lbs and 26.5" draw, arrows weight 425. Three deer, three pass-throughs and three recoveries so far this season.

8. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot an Excalibur Phoenix crossbow. I shoot a 505 grain arrow including broad head. The shorter power stroke of a crossbow decreases the kenetic energy needed for the best chances of a pass through. So I gotta shoot the heavier grain to contour the shorter power stroke.

Your neighborhood Bow Hunter

9. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heavy and always 2 holes !!!

10. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm somewhere around 440gr.
    Speed is overrated to a point, K.E. only tells part of the story as it stops at the hide,
    Momentum finishes .