Hog Hunts

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by TwoBucks, Mar 21, 2016.

1. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lately I've been thinking about doing a hog hunt, but I have no idea about hogs or hunting them. Have any of you done a hog hunt? What time of year do you go? Are there actually places where farmers will let you come and shoot hogs for free? I did some searching and it looked like a lot of outfitters are charging a few hundred per hunter. Any information is welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If not too far, Texas is overrun with them... I went in September and shot 5 with bow. Was a blast,as far as "free" I don't know, but we only paid $500 included lodging and food. Good luck

3. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from a fl. hog hunt. Been going about 10 yrs. now. The average cost in fl. for an outfitted hog hunt is around 300. Thats for 1 hog. You can hunt hogs in season with a lic on public land for free but I don't have the luxury of that much time to figure them out. Thats why I go with an outfitter. They take you to the stand over feeder's. I'm working on editing our hog hunt, we filmed it. Look for it soon. Also make sure you do your research. We've been burned in Fl.

4. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is there a time of year that is better than others for hog hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When it's dry out. Especially if you are hunting over feeders and water. If it has been really wet out, then they don't have to go to their normal watering holes and they feed on a lot of greenery other than whats in a feeder.

6. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    there are enough folks chasing them down here in florida that farmers willing to let folks hunt free/cheap are probably already being used. plus it takes very little pressure to send hogs nocturnal, so you could be in an area thick with them and never see them unless hunting with dogs. if I was traveling any distance to hunt hogs I'd pay the bucks at least for the first trip and my preference would be to hunt one of the ranches with free ranging hogs. some use feeders and some may offer spot and stalk.

7. dallasb

dallasb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Dream Sporting Trips has a service you can use called Tender. You can fill the form out and they will find you a hog hunt within your budget, and the process if free! It's worth a try https://dreamsportingtrips.com/tender/hunting

8. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, could you post the outfitter?

9. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "Hunting Texas hogs" was the name if I am correct. Do a google search, you'll find it, I did

10. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Independence Ranch

11. ATXTyler

ATXTyler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They are getting more and more out of hand here in Texas. My hunting property never had them until about 2 years ago. You can actually find a lot of ranchers willing to let you take them out for pretty cheap if not free, though you might have to do some searching. I believe Caldwell County even setup a county group designed specifically to fight the expanding population, so you might search their site and see if they can put you in touch with someone. http://www.feralhogtaskforce.com/