CO arch elk hunt change of plans maybe

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Hoytxhunter, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Howdy archers

How was your season. Mine was a bust. No shot oppertunities to draw blood on a new bow. But its a new year. Ok so I had posted a few months back that I was looking at an OTC arch elk around Durango. But I think we are going to move over around Pagosa Springs in units 77 and 78. There is only 2 of us on the trip, we are good to hike in and stay a night or two or whatever. This will be our first arch elk hunt (2nd elk hunt tot). Im wondering if this is a good move or a wash. I know you have to learn the area and get where the elk are and all that stuff. Im not looking for anyones honey hole. Im just wanting to know if this is a positive move and if so where would be a good place for a base camp. We are planning right now to go for sometime during the first two weeks of arch season but we can move the dates around a bit if needed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and hopefully i possess some knowledge that I can offer in return. Thanks for any help.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry but not familiar with Colorado to help.
    I'd call Fish & Game and ask them for advice. Most game departments are good at assisting.

3. Hoytxhunter

Dislikes Received:
    well Ive done the pc work as far as looking up stats and numbers and all that fun stuff. My only issue is that I don't think the numbers that the state posts are very accurate. Now the draw numbers are what they are and studying them has got my group drawn for muleys the first time we put in for rifle. I have talked to CO hunt planner and they are pretty good with helpful advice (as long as you get someone thats not having a bad day). I usually wait till couple months to a month out so I can get the most current info like road closures and other helpful tidbits. But yes calling them is on the list and very helpful just not there yet.

4. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just posted then I saw this. I'm a first timer headed to pagosa for the 2nd rifle this year. If you find any good spots during bow you can pass them this way'

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  5. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We looked at unit 77 hard after looking at unit 74. Just from what we gather it has a ton of horse hunting pressure with several outfitters using it. It still is on our backup list, but we have found another unit to try before heading to 45 for Will's camp. That's about all I have on it.

6. Hoytxhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok. I tried to respond days ago but it was on a mobile and well hooray for technology.

Travis if i will let you know if we find anything worth reporting. I can say that we hunted 2nd rifle north of missionary ridge, NE of Durango in '14 and saw a mule doe and yrling and a high 2x2 that was it. There was not a lot of people there hunting but most were vacating by 2nd and 3rd day. Last season buddy went to same area 2nd rifle and shot a 6x5. So right place at the right time. And hunting is more of the right place at the wrong time. Thats why its the enjoyment of hunting and not the need to kill. But glad to help if I can Ill keep it posted.

Timmy thanks for the info about the horses. If you don't have to use it as a back up best of luck to ya and Ill let you know what we find for your logs.

Well only about 7 months left, have to get in better shape and gather the gear. Good luck all and happy hunting. Hope to hear from ya if you have anything you'd like to share. Thanks again.

7. Hoytxhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I'm looking at maps and I'm seeing a lot of water pools in a particular area. So my question is, is it better to hunt in an area with a lot of pooled water spots or an area with few pools of water. So my thought is less water available means you have a better chance of the elk visiting the water your sitting on (if sitting on water is a good tactic) On the other hand if there is more water available then the area could hold more elk. I know the availability of food could also contribute to the elk numbers. Yes I am new to the elk world and just trying to figure out what to look for and or if I'm thinking right about it or not. thanks for any input.

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I know of an excellent outfitter there that does drop camps. Basically they take you and and drop you and your supplies at a base camp, they know where the elk are and will tell you where they are. From there you can spike out if you would like, but it is reasonably priced and you have a way to get your elk as well as your gear out when the need arises. I personally know the guys and they know the game, the country and are excellent people. Their website is www.fawngulchoutfitters.com and they are in unit 77.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  9. Hoytxhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Dubbya for the info and a direction to go in. I will definitely look into them.

10. Simsboro14

Simsboro14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Simsboro14 Co. Elk hunter

I have hunted south of Pagosa Springs in Chromo for the last 4 years. I assume you are going into the National Forest. Lots of Elk but heavily hunted. You will need to get deep away from the roads to be successful.

How was your season. Mine was a bust. No shot oppertunities to draw blood on a new bow. But its a new year. Ok so I had posted a few months back that I was looking at an OTC arch elk around Durango. But I think we are going to move over around Pagosa Springs in units 77 and 78. There is only 2 of us on the trip, we are good to hike in and stay a night or two or whatever. This will be our first arch elk hunt (2nd elk hunt tot). Im wondering if this is a good move or a wash. I know you have to learn the area and get where the elk are and all that stuff. Im not looking for anyones honey hole. Im just wanting to know if this is a positive move and if so where would be a good place for a base camp. We are planning right now to go for sometime during the first two weeks of arch season but we can move the dates around a bit if needed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and hopefully i possess some knowledge that I can offer in return. Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]