More to Hunting - what's your motivation?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by deedee, Nov 3, 2014.

1. deedee

deedee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Out There

I have watched this short video so many times and realized that there is more to hunting than just going out there and give an elk or deer a 'dirt nap' and 'punch a tag' as some of my friends put it. I am still new at hunting and learning as I go. I would love to understand more about what inspire or motivate a person to hunt if you would like to share it here. Thank you!!!

2. Dire_effects

Dire_effects Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Food.

That's the most basic reason I hunt. My family has a year or two's worth of meat in the deep freezer. Meat is sent to family, and made into jerky for preservation.

Today I thank the animal for it's meat.

3. Stefan Wilson

Stefan Wilson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt for food, but I also hunt because I care about the idea of deer and elk. Some might say that it is wrong to kill an animal, but if by harvesting a mature animal I am able to both feed my family with high quality meat and simultaneously help a herd to flourish through proper wildlife management, then everyone wins. Hunting is just as much abut conservation as it is about food.

4. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy the challenge of hunting and all of the preparation in order to make myself the best I can be. We can never stop improving. But my biggest motivation is spending more time and making memories with both the oldest and newest of friends and most importantly family. There is nothing like watching some shoot their first duck or biggest deer!

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another great little film is "The Trembling Giant". Check it out. Also just about anything from Donnie Vincent :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gORlBkVz2us

There are very few aspects of hunting that I don't enjoy to some extent.

6. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Healthy food. My husband suffered Chronic Kidney Failure for most of our marriage. Just had a successful transplant about 2 years back. Meat with hormones, irradiated, mis-handled not an option.

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Time wondering or just sitting in the woods to watch nature and the challenge of going undetected and getting to within bow range of my pry. Filling the feeder is just a bonus. Also being a city slicker my whole life, it's getting out of my comfort zone and getting back to nature.

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As Fitz said, check out Donnie Vincent, man this guy conveys exactly what it is for us. It's a passion, obsession, necessity for food, and reverent experience all wrapped into one. It's just who I am.

9. deedee

deedee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking about Donnie Vincent, this is one of his best video that explains his passion for hunting -
    http://huntervids.com/videos/sicmantas-donnie-vincent-who-we-are/

10. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Solitude, food, time spent with family and friends, personal challenge and the satisfaction of success-- these are just a few of the reasons I bow hunt.

But for me what really drives the passion is the rush... Nothing I have ever tried can match the rush of bow hunting big game up close and personal...

11. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    in order of importance...
    1) time in the woods enjoying nature (just sitting and watching the birds and squirrels can make for a good day)
    2) satisfaction of good scouting, stand placement, or stalk to put myself in the best position for a successful hunt.
    3) quality time spent with friends doing something we love
    4) meat
    5) getting pictures to remember the experience later
    10) trophys

12. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know this sounds corny but I hunt because that is what I was born to do. Ever since I was a small kid when ever I saw a deer in a field I immediately got excited and wanted to chase it. Nature made us hunters or gathers. My instincts push me hunt. I love animals and respect them for the role they play. I know without them we would not be here nor would we survive. Its the circle of life and the "right" thing to do in my eyes.

So many of us have forgotten the simple way of life that our grandparents taught us. Thats just wrong is so many ways. Hunting and growing a garden is remembering that nature can and will provide for us. We just need to know how to take advantage of it.