Looking to book a bear hunting trip in Canada next fall.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by IAMIKE, Aug 21, 2014.

1. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ***Update*** Bear Hunting Help

Alright guys,

Basically, me and 4-5 other guys are looking to book a Canada Bear Hunting Trip.

Here are some generic things I would like to know since none of us have done this before.

Is there a better season i.e. spring or fall, if there is what is the best time to go during that season.
    Does a guides success rate really mean anything.
    What is a reasonable rate to pay per person to go.
    Is tipping a guide for taking you out there and bringing you back and assisting in the hunt expected
    What is a good average size for a black bear in each season

Any tips or suggestions, anything at all helps guys. None of the 5-6 people going have done this before.. so were starting from scratch.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bump, Im looking for reviews and people you have gone through, we haven't done it before so were looking for the first time.

3. BowhuntingAndrew

BowhuntingAndrew Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not that I can help much cause I have never been on a bear hunt, but where in Canada were you looking to go?

4. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Idk, really, I mean we would like good sized bear, but don't wanna pay 4k person just to go.

5. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Few good places in Saskatchewan and Northern Ontario for bears. Also in Quebec where I'm at but not as popular for US citizens because of the French language. I'd say come over to my spot, there's a few bear I'd like to get rid of and only have one tag per year...but non resident need to use the services of an Outfitter for bears...
    I've heard good things about Seigneurie du Triton near my hometown, Pourvoirie du Québec; pêche à la truite et chasse au Canada, une pourvoirie prestigieuse et unique, en chalet ou en auberge

VIP treatment and good size bears, never personally hunted there I'm more of a DIY public land guy.

Best bear hunt here is in the spring, late May early June. Fall hunt is mostly for moose September 20th til October 5th or so for archery depending on the zone, and bears are more like opportunity kills.

Oh, also these guys had decent size bears in the past...

http://pourvoiriewindigo.com/windigo_outfitters.html

Good luck

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  6. mrcpntr

mrcpntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Are you looking for spring or a fall hunt? Because most of Ontario doesn't have a Spring hunt yet. FYI if you are looking at Ontario as a location Option.

7. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to try and plan a hunt here next June, looks awesome!

8. mrcpntr

mrcpntr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    BTW, I have a small boar on my property +/- 250 lbs... Not really "bear Country" so If you wanna give me $2000, you can hunt him here...lol...actually I'm going to set u a bait site right now,and take him out if I can...He's been on my cameras a few times near one of my popular deer runs and I cant have him ruining/ spooking the herd off (I had a crazy busy summer with work and was unable to get to my usual bear bait locations..about 1 1/2 hr from my place)

9. Matt53

Matt53 Newb

Dislikes Received:
  10. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are tons and tons of black bears around where I live in central BC, and many different guiding areas/ outfitters. When I used to hunt black bears I'd prefer the spring. They would be easier to find since they are just looking for new growing grass. In BC you are not allowed to have bait stations, but spot and stalk bear hunting is a great time. There are many bears and you will have more than a few opportunities. So blowing a stalk isn't the end of the world. I've guided for black bear for 3 different outfitters and they all had a great success rate. All bow hunters I've guided went home happy with a black bear. Guides don't expect to get tipped but always appreciate it of course. I think if a guide does his job and gets you a nice bear then I believe he certainly deserves a tip. Black bear hunts are affordable and have a high success rate. Rarely does a hunter leave camp without a bear. I would say it's one of the easier big game hunts you can do.

11. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My father in law has black bears on his property here in NB. I plan to hunt for one in the 2016 spring season after I get a season of deer hunting under me in 2015