Problems running bears with dogs in wolf territory

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by coheley665, Aug 4, 2014.

1. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Question for you people that have had experiences in wolf territory. A buddy I know has been running bears here in the U.P. for the last few years. Well with the increase of wolf population last year they ended up loosing two dogs to being attacked by wolfs while running bears. Today they where up treeing bears getting ready for the upcoming season. They ran into the same incident as last year where once again they lost two dogs due to wolfs. One of the guys was trying to get the other dogs together and was being circled by the wolfs and actually had one get a dog from him while having it on the leash. I'm not real familiar with wolfs but does this seem like real odd behavior they are running into? I didn't think that they where that aggressive. So the people that are familiar with wolfs does this seem odd? Or is it kinda a common thing that can happen when in areas with wolfs?

2. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, reading your post I was very surprised, even skeptical...

I live in Eastern Canada, right in wolf country and once, working on an exploration camp in the tundra near Hudson Bay, one of the crew had his German Shepperd on camp. The dog was always loose and exploring the camp surroundings. One day it came back shaking with it's tail between it's legs. It had ran into a pack of wolves and managed to escape. He never left camp after that.
    That happened in a very remote and wild part of the country where humans are rarely in contact with wolves.

At home, I am out most of the fall with my dog, hunting small game and never ran into problems. I see wolf track on pretty much every trip and on a few occasions I have seen wolves and they were always shy and quick to get out of our way.

Strange behavior your friend has encountered in an area where wolves are frequently in contact with people and know it's better to avoid humans. Wolves are known to kill coyotes just to eliminate the competition, maybe that's what happened.

3. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that's what I kinda of figured that they would really just try to avoid everything really. Not sure if its a dominance thing coming into factor when the dogs are around them or what the deal may be.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wolves see dogs as competition. They kill dogs all the time. Heck, our old golden was attacked 30 yards from the Lodge. A pack of bear hounds would be seen just as that, a pack. They would do the same with a pack of different wolves. This is why we have no feral dogs where I live (and much fewer yotes). Unattended animals will become part of the food chain. And sometimes, attended animals.

5. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Was hoping you would chime in since u seem to always be posting something with the wolfs up there. So really its kinda wrong place wrong time type thing? like if the dogs happen to get to close to them or will the wolfs hear the dogs and go towards them to protect there area?

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure they're clued in by the dogs barking. I'd guess that's what's happening.

7. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Shame its happening but I guess thats a risk they know coming into it now. Another question I was wondering is lets say you carry a side arm and they are attcking your dogs would it be in your rights to take one down?? or is it still going to be againt laws?? something I think hes needing to look into since this is two years in a row something like this has happened

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not positive, but I believe you could. I'd try if they were taking my dog, though it typically wouldn't last long. After the fact, I doubt I'd shoot.