Advice on an Elk Hunt.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Jake C., Jun 23, 2014.

1. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm starting to get an Elk hunt planned out for my wife and I, looking for it to be about 2 or 3 years down the road. Im mainly looking for advice on outfitters but will take any tips i can get. It doesn't matter what state you've been to I just want as much advice i can get on here so i can start looking at places and getting a list of things going. Thanks for and advice you can give me guys!

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the elk hunt invite thread in this section of the forum. Will hosts a camp every other year in Colorado. This year will be my first time attending and I can't wait.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

3. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never been on a guided hunt, sorry I dont have any advice there. But if you can draw a tag here in Utah you can get a pretty good bull. I can always ask around to see what guides are good.

4. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best of Luck! Keep planning and get your self and equipment ready. There is a ton of information depending on where your head is at as well as what your budget will tolerate. Several of the members here may chime in to help you also. Stick with it.

5. MNElkNut

MNElkNut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Frazier Outfitters in Colorado. I did a gun hunt with him and was successful. He runs a first class operation.

6. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This year will be my first ever guided Elk hunt. So far it has been pretty cool - I think of stupid things to ask them and they respond with really good answers and have been making me feel pretty good about the process. It's been helpful in getting me to pare down my gear and really focus on what I need.

I'm going with Winterhawk outfitters in CO. If you saw the film, the Trembling Giant - they're the outfitters.

7. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted the past two years with Action Adventures in SW Colorado. It's a semi-guided hunt for a very reasonable price. It's an over the counter tag and butts up against public land. They feed you breakfast and dinner and provide plenty to pack for lunch. There are plenty of quality elk in that area and the guide does a great job of providing information on area and hot spots.

8. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips guys.