What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by OK/Sooner, Jul 3, 2013.

1. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you are headed out west to chase Elk? What are you doing physically to get ready? I'm headed to CO on August 28th and will be there until September 8th ill get to hunt 10 days this year(wish it was more). Going from 450 feet or elevation to 9500+ if tough. So far I've been getting up at 4am every morning and getting a 2 mile walk with a 20 lb pack. The past few days I've topped it off with a 3-4 mile jog an a hour or two of basketball. This is what I normally do every year and it usually gets me ready to roll.

What about you guys?

2. in2blood

in2blood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be hunting elk this year but i live at 5500 feet so elevation isn't a killer for me as it is for most guys. I do an hour long insanity workout everyday and i have a 2 & 5 year old so i am plenty busy. It sounds like you are plenty active and should be fine. Last year we camped next to some older guys that always had cigarettes hanging out of their mouths and did not appear to be in the best shape. I am always amazed to see the wide array of people that you see out hunting.

3. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you, my three year old keeps us running around all day. This will be my 4th time coming to CO to hunt since I moved away several years ago. If I don't do some kind of exercise I feel like I'm gonna die out there.

4. in2blood

in2blood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The second you see those turning aspens and have that crisp morning air hit your lungs you'll be alright. Good luck this season!

5. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you too!

6. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot my bow has much as I can. I have a couple trail cams out. I live at 5400 feet so the elevation isn't a big deal. Elk camp is at 9800 feet. I try to be on the mountain as much as I can.

Good luck to both ya this year.

7. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    It would be nice to live at 6500 feet with my old man again. Maybe one of these days. Hope you have the same success as last year!

8. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am doing Insanity right now. On my off days I am running 3-4 miles. Soon I will be replacing my runs with hikes and a loaded pack.

9. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting 3-4 times a week and working out six days a week. Mostly legs and lungs... just getting through a workout every day is insanity for me; wouldn't even consider that work out at my age. :D You guys have at it! :D Don't want to be the guy in camp who can't pull his weight. It always sounds nice to "get in shape after you get there" but if you have to pack out an elk on your back is not only sucks really bad, you become a liability to the rest of the guys. I'm only hunting with one buddy so I really want to be in shape; I know he will be. On that note, a friend of mine is a guide and hunter in Alaska and he once told me that the two most important things to him when he hunts are having really good equipment and being in top physical condition. The two most important things to him when choosing a hunting partner are that his partner's gear and physical conditioning are as good as his. Pretty good advice I thought.

10. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like I'm done with my elk training for a week or so. This sucks. Me an a buddy took on two 19year olds in a BB game last night. Never play Ball in shoes you never wear. This is what comes from that.

[​IMG]

This **** does not feel good at all. Esp working 12 hours a day in steel toe boots.

11. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Z7sooner OUCH!

12. MBrauer

MBrauer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Put some donuts on the blisters! and also try superglue. It has alcohol in it and will clean and also protect.

Any thoughts on the hard core hunting regiment this guy does? Beast Mode Training & Hunting - YouTube

13. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cam Haines is a man who loves working out and he loves bow hunting. His workout is extreme and nobody can argue with that. He's made it work for him and made a career of it. I live vicariously through folks like that now. I've done he workouts in my younger years and I know how hard it is. I admire anyone who can push themselves like that.

14. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Luckily my wife has been taking pretty good care of me. Maybe that nursing degree is paying off lol.

As for Cam. That guy is a beast. There's a lot of people that don't care for him. But when it comes to training and hunting he's just an animal. Wish I could do half the workouts he does. An he's got me by a few years. Crazy!

15. MBrauer

MBrauer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He's a true predator. And Z7Sooner... Go Pokes! just kidding

16. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    I figured you were a poke fan when I seen you were from Stillwater. I'm just happy our rivarly is actually turning into good games the last few years. It will be hard to beat last years game. It was starting to get bad on your end for a while. lol

17. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a Sooners fan and a "Pokes" fan. Sent all my money to Sooner land when my son went there. I'm a Wyoming Poke alum so I have to hang with them too. :)

18. OK/Sooner

Dislikes Received:
    Your son picked a good place to go to school:) I've been to Laramie many times. My family actually has a house in Medicine Bow. We've have spend many night camping and hiking around snowy range. Beautiful place.

19. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've killed a few antelope around Medicine Bow when I was in college. :) Have you hunted that area?

20. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been running flat area around town. Usually 5 miles is what I've worked up to. Ran 8 miles once. Hiking and running hills in between runs. Longest pack was 6 miles next to the mississippi up and down the bluffs. (35 pounds in pack) That about killed me. Going to start packing more than running the end of july. Easier and quicker to go run 5 miles. If I pack I drive somewhere so I'm going up and down bluffs. Closest I can get to a mountain.

Been eating healthier to shed unwanted weight. Amazing how healthy eating and working out will transform your body pretty quickly. Been training since May and I'm hoping to get down 15-20 pounds before 2nd weekend in Idaho.

Shooting the bow a few times a week. Need to get more shooting in.

Cameron Hanes is a little crazy. I mean that as a complement to him. Everything is overdone so the smaller things feel easier. Shoots out to 180 yards just for practice for shorter shots. Runs ultra marathons so marathons seem easier. At least that is what I gather about him. I can say I've been motivated following him because I know everyday he is hitting it harder than almost anyone in the bowhunting world.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013