Expandables and elk????

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by jeffacarp, Feb 2, 2013.

1. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been watching a few of the primos monster bulls dvd's and I noticed they are shooting rage 2 blades out of mathews z7's and monsters with FMJ arrows. From what they show on the vids, they get a lot of bulls dropping in sight from the camera. To me, this seems risky on such a large animal. What are yalls thoughts on the use of expandables hunting elk.

For the record, if I were to chase elk it'd be with a good chisel tipped fixed blade like a muzzy, slick trick, or thunderhead.

2. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have some buddies that have had good results with G5 Tekans. My biggest issue with mechanical broadheads and elk hunting is the style of hunting and them being bumped and opening. With spot and stalk on steep terrain your bow becomes awkward and the last thing I'd want to worry about is if blades are properly closed on the shot.

3. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like Muzzys and used the four blade, 100 grain to take the elk in my avitar. That said, I've been shooting the Killzone this year (had some given to me) and wouldn't hesitate to use it for elk. It is really a good broad head. I've never heard of one not opening or opening prematurely. Additionally, they will cut even if they didn't open...which is unlikely.

4. ElkNut1

ElkNut1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I see plenty of elk go down on videos with expandable heads, it's not for me though, I'll stick with a very good fixed or cut on contact head, I've not had an issue yet with these & we've put down quite a few elk.

ElkNut1

5. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with ElkNut on this one. We bow hunt elk a bit here and have had issues with expendables on elk. I will stick with a cut on contact broad head. Thats my 2 cents worth

6. ironranger

ironranger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've only taken two elk with bow and haven't had any experience with expandables. I do like the broadhead (Tight Point) that I have been using. Clean pass thru this last fall and spike piled up within 30 yards.... :)

Kill shot.jpg

7. JakeTheSnake

JakeTheSnake Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No and don't. Use 125 Gr. Stingers. Kill your Elk and be happy.