$30-$40 stands?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by sethf11, Jan 23, 2016.

1. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is everyone's thoughts on the steel $30-$40 stands?

I was thinking of picking up a couple and leaving them up all season at a farm I have permission to hunt.

If you use them which ones are "better" and where are you guys getting them?

I don't want to leave my $250 ones in the woods.

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would add an additoinal ratchet strap to any cheap stand to make sure it is safe. I know the seats on most cheap stands are very uncomfortable, so keep that in mind.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  3. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a couple guide gear stands for $30 and they are holding up great. The seat isn't the most comfortable but they are definitely worth the price in my opinion. They did raise the price to $33 which isn't much of a difference unless you're a real penny pincher. If you really wanted you could get 6 guide gear stands for less than one of lone wolf's cheapest stands.

4. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Ameristep ones all the time for when I let a stand stay up awhile.
    After season I can usually pickem up around $30.
    As noted the seats aren't all that comfortable put I put extra padding on it.
    That and a couple sticks and if it gets taken I'm out about $70. I save my muddy for short doaks.

5. trtodd13

trtodd13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have one of the game winner stands from Academy and the seat is probably one of the thickest on the cheaper end stands which was a big selling point for me. It's a sturdy stand overall and cost me $35 I think

6. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought ten Big Game Platinum Horizon hang ons from SG last fall for $35 ea. Best money I've spent. They are awesome stands and level to almost any tree. Glad i bought 10 cause i can't find them anywhere for that price anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second adding a ratchet strap. I usually add 2 ratchet straps to any cheaper stand I hang. Makes them much more solid on the tree.

8. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep in mind cheaper usually means high carbon steel for bolts and stand frames. Good idea to make sure you paint them well with Rustoleum. Even switch out the nuts and bolts for high grade or even stainless. Inspect the cables often too.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just don't feel as secure in those cheaper stands anymore. Plus they haven't held up well for me in the past if I've left them out all season.

10. mikido

mikido Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lol I only use the cheap stands with screw in steps. I also have a self-climber for under the radar spots. Just make sure you tie-off. Don't be a wimp about the seats

11. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    we have a couple Riversedge Bigfoot XL's on our property and they seem to be holding up fine. I just check my straps frequently..

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used cheapo stands for years, but I'm transitioning away from them. For the most part they seem to be fine, but typically they will be louder than more expensive stands and usually have tiny uncomfortable seats. They will get the job done though.

13. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I'm a welder fabricator and think most all of them leave alot to be cautious about! Chineese made crap! Poor welds and designs plus comfort issues are my biggest gripes! But yes I own 3 different climbers and 3 different hang ons so I'm a hipacrit I guess LOL But really yes extra straps and better hardware and paint and anal inspections before use is important no doubt :-)