Rangefinder help

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Jeffrey Jones, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an RX-I by leupold an i was just wandering if anybody has used this scope before an if anyone can help me with a most recent problem I ran into. Before using a rangefinder I always paced my distances but thinking I could cut some corners I picked up this range finder. Well it was actually givin to me sorta but when I actually did my homework on it I was very disappointed after assuming it had a function called TBR or True Ballistic Range. Well it doesnt being a RX-I its good on the ground don't get me wrong but in a tree it is worthless so I would assume. So my question here is can I still use it accurately from a tree 15 feet up or is it a complete shot in the dark if the Rangefinder only measures LOS or line of sight? Your thoughts please. My guess is that I should cut the LOS Range by 5 yds or so. My bow is tuned pretty good an its shooting right at 300-305 fps. So is it even possible to judge my yardage just off of LOS Range at this speed?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I remember right, the difference in distances in only a big deal for extreme angles and also relatively long distances. I would imagine that anything within 50 yards or so (well within most peoples shooting distances) that it would be fine

3. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be up in the tree and i will play around with my range finder and put it on the LoS mode and it really is only a yard or two difference at twenty, thirty and forty. So i honestly don't think its a big deal.
    If you are in a lot of trees then what you can do is range the trees at eye level and that is the same distance from the bottom of your tree to the base of the tree you ranged.So you could do that if you want to feel more accurate on the distances.

4. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good Aaron im gonna try that thanks I like the range finder and it works alright but when I got up in the tree an practiced it seemed way high if you know what I mean but on the ground it's spot on

5. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Completely understand. I had the same thing happen. Then i started practicing from my tree stand and it works perfect. For me, i have to really relax in a tree stand (even more than on the ground) to make sure my arrow flies straight and true. Good luck brother

6. Jeffrey Jones

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely thanks and same to you Okie lol OkieBowHunter